Steel: The Forever Resource™
Reynolds Services, Inc.’s vision of the steel market and our entire business model is built around sustainability – not only sustainability for our facilities but also sustainability for the entire market. The founding principle, and the initiative that still drives our business today, is finding a use for all materials with zero waste. Whether reworking material to source a customer or using steel that may be scrapped by others to meet the needs of our export business, we look at every coil, every bundle, every sheet as an opportunity to fill a need in the market.
What makes steel the ultimate recycled product? The inherent properties of steel allow for infinite recyclability with zero effect on the integrity of the material from one product to another. Steel is magnetic so it is easy to recover from household trash. Efficiencies in steelmaking have dramatically reduced the amount of scrap generated for each ton of steel produced. New Steel produced with recycled cans reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 75%*. The overall recycling rate of Steel cans is 71%* and cans today weigh 33%* less than they did 25 years ago. Advances in recycling and increases in Steel can efficiencies has a trickle-down effect benefitting the entire supply chain from the mill to the end consumer truly making “Steel: The Forever Resource™”.
- Steel cans are 100% and infinitely recyclable.
- Steel can be turned from a food container into roof shingles to provide shelter – steel uses are constantly being reimagined.
- Steel cans make food safer with 100% contamination protection.
- Food that is canned is less likely to be wasted.
- Steel ensures the integrity of the product throughout its lifecycle.
- Steel’s superior sustainability impacts the environment minimally throughout its entire life – a statement which cannot be made for other consumable products.
Here are just a few of the ways that RSI has implemented a sustainable vision at our facilities:
- Intercompany skid recycling program.
- Reuse of packaging material / lean packaging program.
- All operational ‘waste’ is recycled and / or repurposed.
- Use of reusable shipping mats in all trucks to enhance reusability and reduce waste.
- Industrial chemical disposal program – including all hydraulic oil and grease used on all machinery are ‘food grade.
- Operational processing efficiencies to maximize product and repurpose scrap.
* Percentage information can be found and was provided by www.cancentral.com/foodcans